Our client, leaders in construction, is looking to add a Construction Manager to its team, in its Montreal office.
Reports To: Director of Operations
Nature and Scope:
With a proven track record in retail and commercial construction and renovation projects, their clients are some of the biggest companies nationwide.
Your role will be to focus and ensure smooth running and successful construction projects. In addition, you will act as a resource person for any technical aspect of a project.
You will be working to oversee project management work across Canada.
Your main responsibility is to build the project management department to become one of the most competitive and efficient PM departments.
Currently you will be directly managing Senior Account/Project Managers and Project Managers. You will be intimately involved with all aspects of project management and will have direct impact on client satisfaction.
You will have strong networking skills and have the ability to utilize your knowledge base to promote the business and generate new business opportunities. You will be confident and have a strong knowledge base around the commercial and retail construction sectors. You have a solid project management background. To be successful in this position you will have a minimum of 10 years’ experience working within the relevant construction industry.
This role is seeking an entrepreneurial individual who is driven to achieve successful outcomes by putting in the hard work.
A construction project begins with the decision by Senior Management to submit a bid in response to a request-for-proposal. After receiving the client’s request, Management reviews the various preliminary drawings, specifications, terms of reference, scope and complexity before they assign the project to the Estimation department. In preparing the estimate, site visit(s) are planned as required to scope-out the assignment.
- Ability to influence business leaders to achieve mutually beneficial solutions
- Ability to set a clear team focus in a chaotic environment.
- Sees the big picture and facilitates the work of others to achieve it.
- Never satisfied with the status quo.
- Focused on the customer, on the results needed.
- Capable of managing several complex tasks at a time.
- Excellent negotiation and interpersonal skills.
- The Construction Manager has the overall responsibility for management and
administration of construction contracts in two functional objectives and the success
of the project.
- Participate in the decisions of the project on technical approaches, costs, timing and
- To supervise the selection and coordination of subcontractors working on different
stages of multiple projects. Make sure that the resources are not over utilized.
- In collaboration with Director of Operations, participate in the process of project
assigning (PM & SS).
- Participate in the Post-Mortem meetings of the projects and makes sure to transmit
the conclusions from these meetings to the team. Propose corrective measures
brought on upcoming projects and ensure the implementation of these measures.
- Participate in the transfer of initial project process between the Estimation Dept. and
the designated Project Manager. Develop strategies pertaining to different types of
projects “Think Outside the Box”.
- Make sure that all projects are completed according to the schedules and budget.
Ensure that proposed corrective measures are put into action when required or
- Assess and assign the necessary resources at the time where deficiencies are to
completed on a specific project (project completion). Ensure that they are completed
within an acceptable timeframe and to the satisfaction of the client.
- Responsible for the management of resources allocated to construction sites (SS).
- On a regular basis, follow-up with the Project Managers to ensure that any changes
to the contract are in order.
- In collaboration with the Human Resources Administrator, participate in the
implementation / interpretation of Health & Safety Programs
- Organize on a regular basis, meetings with site-superintendents (local & external).
- Ensure compliance with the quality standards of the company both through Project
Management and Site-Supervision.
- Ensure that our client’s way is respected and that it be forwarded to the Site
- Organize occasional site visits to ensure that health and safety rules are respected
and that the various stages of each project are respected by the superintendents.
- Make sure that all documents relating to the various projects are kept in order and
according to the company’s policies.
- In collaboration with Dir Ops. and the H-R Admin, participate in recruitment and the
selection of the members of the production team.
- In collaboration with the Dir Ops., participate in employee performance evaluations
for the Production Department.
- Establish the overall objectives for each of the Project Managers and Site-
Superintendent and verified the achievement thereof.
- Participate in the negotiation strategies between Project Managers and contractors /
- Validate the work of each individual in order to obtain their personal best. Motivate
employees in the achievement of their objectives.
Salary based on experience